Scope Statement Essential Components
For this assignment, you will develop a scope statement that will be used to define the project requirements and exclusions. The scope statement should include the following elements:
· Executive Summary – 2-3 paragraph summary of the business needs and key features of the project.
· Business Requirements – The specific statement(s) that describe the business problem to be solved.
· Solution Requirements – A list of all relevant technical, project and regulatory requirements that effectively solve the project’s business objectives. Solution requirements must be classified by priority.
· Exclusions (Out of Scope) – Items that will not be addressed by the project.
· Key Project Features – In this section, identify any conditions that limit project planning. Constraints of the project such as “must have “milestones, constrained due dates, events or budgetary restrictions.
· Assumptions & Risks – Identified risks and/or assumptions from the business case and project charter.
· Approvals – Space for key stakeholders to formally review approve all sections of the scope statement content. (Note: Best practice is that the Project Sponsor reviews and approves key project management documents).
Textbook: Project Management: The Managerial Process (attached)