For this discussion, you are to choose one graph, and complete these steps based on the graph you chose:
- State the graph you chose.
- Discuss how you interpreted the graph when you first saw it.
- What did it tell you about the data represented?
- Did you find it confusing?
- Now, study the graph. Use your understanding of the topics Graphs, Pie Charts, and Bar Charts to interpret what is being presented.
- Compare your first impression with your second more informed interpretation and answer the following:
- Is the information presented in a biased way (that is, is it misleading?)
- What information is being misinterpreted here? How?
- What type of graph was used and was it used correctly?
- How could you correct the graph so that it more accurately represents the data?
- Discuss why someone might intentionally use a graph to mislead?