Paper on a topic of interest to the student
Length: min 1,200 words
Approval in advance: Topic for Paper must be approved in advance by the Instructor.
Grading: in three parts:
- Writing considerations: Writing ability, knowledge of the topic, how friendly the Paper is to read (any pictures, charts or graphs?)
- Research: Not fewer than three (3) academic-level references, whether online or hardcopy — Wikipedia is NOT acceptable as a reference for this purpose, NOR is a blog, NOR is a Textbook.
- Analysis: How the selected entity is described as relating to a “market type” as studied in our Economics class, using a graphic representation or verbal description.
Microeconomics students must present a real-world company or other entity to analyze from a Microeconomics perspective. Convey the following information:
- the company’s “market type”, such as Competitive, Monopoly, Oligopoly or Monopolistic Competition, plus
- whether it is a Private Enterprise, Government entity or Non-Governmental Organization, and
- whether the product it purveys is a good or a service, and
- whether that product is a private good, a public good, a Common Resource or a Club Good/Natural Monopoly.
- Present information about
- the Industry in which that company or other entity fits,
- the approx number of enterprises in it, in the US only or globally, and
- the dollar value and percent of overall output represented by that industry, and
- the approx. percent of output in that industry represented by your selected entity.
- the overall operations,
- production (how it produces its product),
- marketing strategy (how it spreads awareness of its product),
- sales strategy (how it distributes its product), and
- customer service (how it responds to product issues)
- Explain how the company’s strategy does (or perhaps does not) fit within the structure of “market type” mentioned at the beginning.
PLEASE READ ATTACHMENT TO SEARCH FOR A TOPIC