Watch the documentaries/lectures and complete the readings. Pick one of the topics below to discuss.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of becoming ocean bound.
- Discuss the role of religion in determining relations of power between diverse groups of people who discovered each other when the world became interconnected post 1421.
- Discuss how Europe becoming ocean bound changed (or not) traditional political, social, gender, religious institutions internationally.
- The approximate length for posts and responses will be 50 to 100 words.
- For weekly discussion, each student will have 1 post and 2 responses (that is, 150-300 words in total for each week).
- Points will be deducted for late participation in weekly forum discussions.
- Forum discussions will be evaluated on creativity of analysis of weekly readings.
- Discussion post grades will be calculated at the end of the semester.
Watch the video and the reading the write a discussion and respond the two discuttion below.
Discussions that need responed:
title:Advantages and disadvantages of becoming ocean bound.
Being ocean bound could be a huge advantage to countries. It was an easier and quicker way for importing and exporting goods. The Chinese used the trade routes to transport most of their goods. It was also a way to find new land and expand territories. The countries that were ocean bound gained the biggest powers.The disadvantages of being ocean bound had less of an impact than the advantages. During importing and exporting, diseases could come from other countries and harm the people. Also, being ocean bound made the country at a higher risk for possible attacks; either through attacking by ships or attacking the ships that were importing and exporting.
title:The Bounds of the Ocean
Being ocean bound meant many things for many civilizations. Some saw it as a way to encourage trade, and some saw it as a new way to take over the world. But, on a serious note it did prove to be very advantageous and disadvantageous. In, ” The First Voyage of Vasco de Gama” it explains how with him taking sail he was able to expand the Portuguese market all the way to India, and start trading with the other countries. Vasco opened the eyes of many traders and showed how there is a promising future in international trade.
As I said before some people saw the ocean as a means to control more land, or control more people. In the excerpt “Slave Trader” by William Bosman, Bosman used the ocean to dominate other regions and sell their people as if they were currency. This is the main disadvantage of the human race becoming ocean bound. It allowed slavers to not only collect people from nearby villages or neighboring towns, but travel across the sea to enslave those who they come across.
The respond shoud be 50-100 words each. dont go over 100 words.
attached is the reading