Hist 104- Short Answer-Reflection/Review Assignment
Procedure: Students are to answer five (5) of the following questions. Each answer should be approximately 2-3 paragraphs. Students should utilize class notes and/or the textbook as a starting point, but may utilize other sources as needed. Each question is worth 10 points. Answers should be typed and double spaced (Times New Roman or Arial font, size 12). Each question is worth 10 points.
1. How would European settlers explain their superiority to Native Americans and justify both the conquest of native lands and terminating their freedom?
2. For English settlers, land was the basis of liberty. Explain the reasoning behind that concept and how it differed from the Indians’ concept of land.
3. Eric Foner states, “Prejudice by itself did not create American slavery.” Examine the economic forces, events, and laws that shaped the experiences of enslaved people.
4. Define and discuss the concepts of republicanism and liberalism and how these ideas contributed to the political development of the British Colonies.
5. Discuss the actions taken by the British after the Seven Years’ War. Why did the colonists view these actions as unjust and an attack on their liberty?
6. For the lower classes, colonial society had been based on inequality, deference, and obedience. How did the American Revolution challenge that social order?
7. How did the expansion of the public sphere after the American Revolution and a new discussion of rights offer opportunities to women?