The many different forensic settings such as prisons, jails, outpatient settings, community centers, residential treatment facilities, and specialized treatment centers provide many opportunities for working with forensic populations. Even within these settings, there are specific and differing programs that operate. For instance, a prison might operate an outpatient drug treatment program, a residential drug treatment program, and a sex offender program all in the same facility. In the outpatient setting, a helping professional might be called on to conduct sessions with anger management groups, domestic violence groups, substance abuse groups, and sex offenders after release.
As a forensic treatment professional, assessing and understanding various forensic settings before entering them is critical in developing your professional practice. One way of doing this is to consider the various settings, and compare them based on external resources for forensic populations. For example, how do the available resources compare between a maximum security juvenile correctional facility and a residential juvenile treatment facility? The distinction between these forensic settings and the available resources for each can help you better understand the potential challenges and opportunities in your professional practice.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Select two forensic settings in your community to compare in this assignment.
- Consider the social support, available resources, and access to treatment for each forensic setting
The Assignment (1–2 pages):
- Identify the two forensic settings you selected from your community.
- Compare (similarities and differences) the settings in terms of social support, available resources, and access to treatment.
- Explain at least one conclusion you drew or insight you gained as a result of your comparison related to your role as a current/future helping professional.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the resources for this course.