1. Explain the theme of our text and why this theme is important to our understanding of cultural diversity in criminal justice (Hint: You should read the Preface and Foreword of our text and have done the reading assignment for this week).
2. Once you explain the theme, integrate this material into a discussion in which you define the word “multiculturalism”.
3. Answer this question: Was America ever a homogeneous society? If not, explain why and give a term(s) that would more accurately and idealistically portray a view of diversity in America. Incorporate a discussion of the differences between references to a “melting pot” and a “mosaic”.
Discuss the following:
- What is racism? (research professional and academic terms – do not just provide an opinion)
- What issues are involved in racism?
- What are suggested solutions for organizational managers, leaders and military personnel?
Also, include a brief discussion of women in law enforcement and address each of the following issues:
- Discrimination/sexual harassment
- Role barriers
- “The Brotherhood”
- The double standard
- Differential treatment
- Career vs. family
- Mentor and networking programs for women
- Statistics on women in law enforcement