- identify elements of Just-In-Time (JIT) and lean operations
- apply the seven wastes and 5Ss of “housekeeping” to a hospital
- assess JIT operations in a hospital’s context
Chapter 16 – JIT at Arnold Palmer Hospital, page 602. A 9-minute video, filmed specifically for this text, is available and designed to supplement the written case. Case video is available at MYOMLAB.
Ellet, W. (2007). The case study handbook: How to read, discuss, and write persuasively about cases. Harvard Business Publishing.
Analyze the “JIT at Arnold Palmer Hospital” case study in Chapter 16 – JIT at Arnold Palmer Hospital, page 602 of the heizer textbook (including the video available for it in the MyOMLab for this text). Prepare a MS Word document of 2 to 3 pages answering the questions provided by the instructor (4 questions from the textbook + a fifth question added). Be certain to discuss the items included in the rubric, and include a formal introduction and conclusion for your essay.
- What do you recommend be done when an error is found in a pack as it is opened for an operation?
- How might the procedure for custom surgical packs described here be improved?
- When discussing JIT in services, the text notes that suppliers, layout, inventory, and scheduling are all used. Provide an example of each of these at Arnold Palmer Hospital.
- When a doctor proposes a new surgical procedure, how do you recommend the SKU for a new custom pack be entered into the hospital’s supply chain system?
- How can the hospital reach a lean operation by addressing the 7 wastes and 5S’s?